Counsel, Biologics Patents
About the Opportunity
We have an exciting opportunity for a Counsel, Biologics Patents based at our Ablynx site in Ghent. In this position, you support products as well as platforms. You therefore work with complex projects that you support from research all the way to product launch. As part of a global and diverse team, you have many international interactions as part of an extensive and experienced team committed to diversity. You are developing strategies at a global level and report directly to the Leader of Biologics Patents France.
About Ablynx, a Sanofi company
Ablynx, a Sanofi company, is engaged in the development of Nanobody® therapeutics based on single-domain antibody fragments, which combine the advantages of conventional antibody drugs with some of the features of small-molecule drugs. Nanobody® single-domain antibodies have potential uses in the treatment of a range of serious and life-threatening human diseases. Ablynx advances a portfolio of Nanobody® therapeutic programs in several major disease areas, including inflammation, haematology, immuno-oncology and oncology, as well as platform technologies related thereto.
About growing with us
As a fully qualified European patent attorney, you will be responsible for biologics projects. You will be part of the Belgian team dedicated to all aspects of patent protection for a diverse range of programs across Sanofi's global business units. You will advise on wide range of intellectual property matters, including patent preparation and prosecution, worldwide patent portfolio management, overall IP strategy, patentability, and freedom-to-operate analyses.
Key responsibilities will include
- Interact with clients (including Research & Development, Project Management, Business Development, CMC, Industrial Affairs) in the US and Europe on a daily basis, to provide client counselling and proactively solicit invention disclosures.
- Draft, file and prosecute US, EPO and foreign patent applications in biotechnology areas.
- Conduct, direct and analyze patent searches and render opinions on validity, non-infringement and/or design-around of third-party patents.
- Review proposed research papers and other publications for any impact on existing patent estate.
- Proactively counsel clients about IP strategy related to client’s business.
- Provide patentability evaluation of IP related to internal or external projects.
- Initiate, defend and manage post issuance proceedings such as oppositions, post grant review, inter partes review, litigations.
- Participate in the drafting, reviewing and negotiation of agreements covering intellectual property rights.
- Develop and maintain an appropriate network inside Sanofi’s teams dedicated to Biologics and Global IP group.
To excel in this role you will need to have:
- A motivated self-starting person exhibiting initiative to contribute to the team in more ways than mere handling of assigned projects.
- Graduate degree (e.g. MS) in a biological or biochemistry science.
- Qualified European patent attorney having passed the EQE.
- 5-8 years minimum of patent law experience.
- Confirmed experience in handling biologics IP matters such as antibodies, peptides, nucleic acids and/or enzymes.
- Able to independently handle drafting and prosecution of patent applications.
- Fluent in English.
- Excellent communication skills and agility working with a team of global colleagues.
- A PhD in a biological or biochemistry science.
- Experience in handling biologics platform activities such as antibody formats, bioprocesses, formulations and/or drug device combinations.
- Patent law experience gained in-house, preferably within a biotech or a biopharma company.
- Fluent in Flemish.
- Experience in handling EPO Oppositions and/or litigations.
- An international work environment, in which you can develop your talent and realize ideas and innovations within a competent team.
- An individual and well-structured introduction and training when you onboard.
- You can create your own career path within Sanofi. Your professional and personal development will be supported purposefully.
- As a globally successful and constantly growing company, Sanofi provides international career paths as well.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.